Attendance is crucial to keeping students safe and helping them to make good progress. As a school we aim to:
- Maintain an attendance rate of a minimum of 95%
- Maintain parents’ and students’ awareness of the importance of regular attendance.
Research has shown that there is a very clear relationship between the regularity with which students attend school and their academic achievement.
Students with good attendance records benefit from:
- The continuity of learning in lessons.
- Improved performance in examinations.
- Support and guidance with coursework.
- Maintaining friendships.
- Developing good habits for adult life.
- References for further education or employment highlighting their reliability.
We therefore ask for your support to keep absenteeism to a minimum, so that we can prepare students effectively for their future.
Parents can help us by:
- ringing on the first morning of all absences with the reason and saying when the child will return.
- arranging dental and doctor’s appointments out of school hours or during school breaks.
- sending a note explaining the reason for absence on your child’s return to school after an illness.
- keeping us updated by telephone or letter if your child has an extended period of absence due to illness.
- letting us know if there are issues arising in school that you think are affecting your child’s attendance.