Our day to day ethos is symbolised by our hashtag #LiveLoveLearn. We focus on the growth and development of the whole person, a sense of togetherness and empowering everyone as a leader and learner to ensure our learners thrive through their journey at Royds and beyond.
Our values have been re-evaluated and developed to help address potential barriers to success we encounter in our community. Both our school values and British Values are key themes for assemblies and are also reflected when looking at other issues such as equalities, events and anniversaries. Assemblies are led by the Senior Leadership Team, Learning and Achievement Leaders, students and others members of community. The values are central to everything we do:
Aspiration: Dream Big – If your dreams don’t scare you, they aren’t big enough!
At Royds, aspiration is:
- Having a dream you can articulate.
- Seeking to be the best version of yourself – 24/7.
- Imagination – using it, not being afraid of it.
- Understanding what excellence looks like – and striving for it.
- Understanding how we learn.
Resilience: Be Determined – Resilience is a skill not an ability. It can be learnt
At Royds, resilience is:
- Being able to articulate a successful tale/give examples of applied resilience.
- Being ruthless and relentless in achieving personal goals.
- Reacting successfully to unknown situations.
- Embracing challenges and never giving up.
Respect: Communicate with Kindness – Manners cost nothing but mean everything
At Royds, respect is:
- Being a leader: Doing the right thing when no-one is watching.
- Executing the basics: Saying please, thank you and opening doors for everyone.
- No inappropriate raised voices.
- Following and accepting rules without argument.
- Pride in yourself, love for the school community, the buildings and contents.
Initiative: Solve Problems – Every problem is a gift. Without problems we would not grow
At Royds, initiative is:
- Learning how to coach yourself.
- Thinking independently with a solution focussed mind.
- Working effectively as part of a team.
- Facing challenges head on and finding creative solutions.
- Being self-aware in anticipating potential problems that may arise before pro-actively solving.
Reflective: Never Stop Learning – Never stop learning because life never stops teaching
At Royds, reflective is:
- Understanding and accepting there is always more to learn.
- Knowing how to move forwards: Know how to do it, want to do it, do it!
- Embracing failure as a learning experience.
- Actively listening.
- Working hard – nothing replaces hard work.